Craigs List: Terror VS Treasure

Monday, April 15, 2013
OK, I'll start this off by telling yall that I know better. Im a grown woman with at the very least, a lick of sense. But that being said I also am quite aware that I may very well die while chasing a bargain. Now, Im not much of a daredevil, I dont smoke, I do enjoy a cocktail but not to excess, Im not a "shopper" nor do I throw my money away on frivolous things, but I do love a good deal and have been know to go to fairly great lengths to get one. It makes the victory sweeter if there was a challenge involved.

I have found several great "deals" on Craigs List. The movie about the Craigs List Killer sort of took the fun out of the "hunt" for a while. There are some wack-a-doos for sure, not just on Craigs List but everywhere. I like to think Im an OK judge of character but boy have I missed the mark a few times. I blame that on my Pollyanna attitude and opinion that everyone is basically good at their core. Gary worries, probably on account of my giving him several reasons in the past.

Yesterday while Gary was watching the Masters and mowing the yard and other things around the house I perused Craigs List looking for a guest bed for the room upstairs. Its the other bedroom in our 2 bedroom house that has never had a bed. Well, I take that back. There was a lovely and rather expensive queen size iron bed that I bought from Gabberts about 15 years ago in that room. When I started working at the consignment store I sold it there, thinking I would go in a different direction with that room.  So, now, I have decided to turn it into a pretty guest room. What it all boils down to is that obviously I have way too much time on my hands.

The lady (Jess) with the bed on Craigs List answered all my questions. The bed is old, between the 1910 -1920 and was stowed in the attik of her grandmother-in-law's big old house in Michigan. She brought a few of them along with some antique doors and various things to Texas to clean up and sell from a house/antique shop in Waxahachie where she was living with her 2 year old son while doing temporary work in a dental office. People are so complicated. Anyway I really wanted this bed. It was just perfect for my vision of this room. The only problem was that she wanted to leave today to go back home to Arizona.

I didn't want to tell Gary because he was fixing to leave to go back to South Texas and I didn't want to complicate his day further! That meant I had to take a leap of faith. I didn't want to drive all the way to Waxahachie in the dusky dark so Jess agreed to meet me half way. Half way was the Dallas Zoo, not in the best part of Dallas. Was I really willing to risk my life for a good deal on an iron bed? I guess so because I grabbed my bungees, a couple of moving blankets and hit the road.

We pulled up at the same time and both of us exited our vehicles with great trepidation. I was so relieved! Jess is a lovely girl and when the headboard refused to go inside my car, she volunteered to follow me home. By this time I wasn't worried about her at all. She followed me back and muscled the bed frames into the garage. I paid her a little extra for her time and trouble and she didn't even want to take it! I wished her safe travels and she went on her way.

I love the bed! It was totally worth the leap of faith :D but next time I will think about it a bit longer.

1 comment:

Search This Blog

About Me


Perky and always in a good mood much to the dismay of family members.

Follow Me

FacebookPinterestInstagramEmailRSS
Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address:

Grab My Button!

Powered by Blogger.