Collection vs Clutter

Sunday, April 21, 2013
Does anyone else have a complete aversion to collections? I swear all you have to do is mention you like a certain something and before the year is out you will be inundated with more of those objects than you can shake a stick at; from cards to plastic figurines to weird quilted things! Be warned!

I credit this particular aversion to my mama. She wasn't much of a collector; unless you care to lump husbands into the mix. She hated clutter of all kinds and Sister and I do, too. Mama had a small French curio cabinet with tiny lights above each glass shelf. She kept several small bells and scant few treasures from trips she had taken inside but by no means would this constitute a 'collection'. I truly believe the only things Mama would have collected had she the wherewithal to do so, were Faberge Eggs.

I have visited folks who dont have one square inch of spare wall space. My ex mother-in-law fit into this category. She had one entire room devoted to her massive salt and pepper collection! Really and truly! There were floor to ceiling shelves filled with them! If you turned you head slightly, closed one eye and stuck your tongue out it sort of looked like a kaleidoscope! Mercy goodness I have never seen so many assorted ceramic shakers made like animals, states, buildings, historical people, Disney characters, you name it and she had a salt and pepper shaker! Every single state and national monument she ever visited was commemorated with a shaker.

Another friend from my single days collected hats. Every inch of wall space in her living room was filled with some vintage hat. Why, you couldn't even walk thru the hall without making contact with a feather or veil. Still another friend collects dolls. This is the creepiest collection ever. Its like that old Twilight zone where the ventriloquist dummy comes to life. These dolls eyes seem to follow you around the room!

While I was volunteering at the Dallas Arboretum they had a doll collection on exhibit during Christmas at the Arboretum. All of these dolls were positively ancient which added to the creep factor. They had a good and evil doll I still have nightmares about. Half of this doll's face was smiling and the other side was pure de evil! Gives me the heebie jeevies just thinking about it!

Personally I cant be bothered with collecting things. Heck, as it is, I spend more time arranging the pillows on the bed than I do on my hair. All I can say is that if you feel compelled to 'collect' something; choose wisely and remember if you are in an unfortunate accident, someone will have to pack them all up and figure out what to do with them!

0 comments:

Search This Blog

About Me


Perky and always in a good mood much to the dismay of family members.

Follow Me

FacebookPinterestInstagramEmailRSS
Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address:

Grab My Button!

Powered by Blogger.