Birthday Parties

Saturday, April 6, 2013
Every year as March ends and April comes around, I am inundated with birthdays! Its no problem though because I am always up for a feisty celebration yall! Which reminds me; I have a dear friend, Donna Finch Adams who celebrates her birthday the end of March. We met when I was about 9 months pregnant with Rhys while living in Coppell. She had a display of amazing Raku at an outdoor art fair and I was totally taken with it and after asking questions about the process vowed to learn how to do it! Thankfully she taught Continuing Education classes at Brookhaven College and gave me the information I needed to sign up. I couldn't wait to have something creative to look forward to after Rhys got here (not that Rhys wasn't a creative endeavor).

Donna has a PhD in art, color and education and is fabulously detail oriented and accomplished in several media as well as being an international artist who operates out of her studio/living space now located in downtown Denison. She also teaches at several universities. I doubt she will ever retire. Donna's dashing husband, R.E. helps as well, making frames and stretching canvas. I do believe he retired mainly to help her. They are a very inspirational couple. She is about 20 years older than me and they spend every summer traveling Europe researching techniques and color and visiting their daughter, Mary.



Donna and I became fast friends. Poor R.E. would often have to suffer through our giggling fits after a couple of glasses of wine. He is a fabulous cook and it became a tradition that we would cook for each other on our birthdays. I loved that we would celebrate mine in the fall (a more civilized time of year in Texas to be born yall) instead of the heat of summer. Driving up to their house in the woods there would be lanterns and a Happy Birthday banner strung over the drive. I could always count on a wonderful mix of characters at their dinner parties.  Conversation was lively, eclectic and intellectual. Wine flowed freely and the food always amazing! R.E. became a chef in his retirement and loved to create imaginative meals inspired by their travels.

One party that springs to mind was inspired from a trip they took to Spain. A mutual artist friend of ours, Chase had also returned from running with the bulls in Pamplona! There were lots of "running bull" jokes that evening. I believe he even brought a poster he had made from a picture of his bull swatting antics. Chase was a super fun party guest and a legend in his own mind.

At another birthday party, one of their guests (an opera singer) serenaded me with a theatrical rendition of "Happy Birthday". Tres' memorable! They really know how to throw a party and make you feel special. A hard act to follow, but incredible memories!


0 comments:

Search This Blog

About Me


Perky and always in a good mood much to the dismay of family members.

Follow Me

FacebookPinterestInstagramEmailRSS
Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address:

Grab My Button!

Powered by Blogger.