My Peeps

Sunday, March 17, 2013
There can never be too much said about the value of good friends. I happen to think I have the very best assortment of friends in existence, comprised of all ages and from all walks of life and varied political and religious affiliations. They give me a valuable perspective on this world. I guess one could say I have a 'melting pot' of friends! I credit them with keeping my mind open but hopefully not so much my brains fall out.

It might seem to some that I compromise my integrity by befriending folks so 'different' from me but in truth I see it as gathering information. Who knows when I might change my mind about something?  We are allowed to do that, you know! Its not etched in stone that one must travel thru life only believing and thinking one way! I dont think everyone knows this!

Yesterday I met two very dear friends with similar sensibilities for our 3 times a year (plus Christmas), birthday lunch and movie date. We celebrate each other's birthday on a convenient date for us all, hopefully somewhat close to the actual date. Sara's birthday was in February. She got to choose the movie and the lunch spot, though Pam and I pretty much put our collective foot down when Sara wondered about the burgers at the little cafe in the theater! She is very easy to please.

The movie selections were kind of slim because Sara sees just about everything that comes out. I see about 1-2 a month and poor Pam works downtown so she doesn't get to the movies very often. Sara chose the 'Emperor' with Matthew Fox and Tommy Lee Jones. To be honest, I wasn't really looking forward to seeing this because well.... war history doesn't really hold my interest as much as.... lets say European history. But I can always count on Sara to broaden my horizons. That and Matthew Fox isn't my idea of a lead character. He didn't make a very imposing General with his slight stature and somewhat whiny voice. Tommy Lee Jones made a good Douglas MacArthur but he couldn't really disguise his Texas accent. MacArthur was from Arkansas though so I guess its not such a huge stretch. I mean, its not like he was trying to play a Yankee for cryin out loud.

Anyway, the movie was interesting, more like a school film or documentary than actual entertainment and I learned a bunch about the war that I never knew. Thats not to say I feel compelled to learn more about it, but it was informative and when the movie was over I made the comment that it was better than I thought it would be. Our taste in movies vary and I do enjoy that!  Sara's choices are usually the head scratchers. Pam and I tend to lean more the same way. But I truly find something to enjoy about everything we see even if its just us getting together!

At lunch afterwards we catch up with whats going on in our lives. Even if its been months since we have gotten together, we pick right back up where we left off, without skipping a beat and that friendship is the best kind!

0 comments:

Search This Blog

About Me


Perky and always in a good mood much to the dismay of family members.

Follow Me

FacebookPinterestInstagramEmailRSS
Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address:

Grab My Button!

Powered by Blogger.