Old Beaus

Monday, February 18, 2013
Isn't it creepy when you happen upon an old beau, years later and not looking your best? Since I rarely look "my best" it can hardly be a surprise when I do run into one. Two weeks ago at the gym I thought I saw Larry. Then I kept seeing him, or who I thought was him several times. I never said anything because I wasn't absolutely sure it was him until he said "hi" and I almost swallowed my tongue.

Larry and I were together for a couple of years back in 93'.... 20 years ago! We looked into buying a house together and even toyed with the idea of eventually marrying. We went to San Francisco together and took our kids on fishing and canoe trips to East Texas. It seemed to be an easy sort of relationship but it sure didn't start out that way. 

I guess you could say It was sorta doomed from the start. On our first real date he picked me up at my house to go to a gallery opening. As we were walking toward his car, my previous boyfriend, Lynn pulled up and got out with a bouquet of flowers and walked towards us screaming warnings at Larry and eventually throwing the flowers at my feet! Looking back, I dont think I had told him emphatically that we were finished. Either that or he was a hammerhead. Probably a little of both.

So, after telling Larry I had no idea why in the world Lynn would act that way, we shook it off and headed to the gallery. We grabbed a glass of wine and started winding our way thru the crowd to look at the art work of a few friends. While we were standing on one side of a partition I happened to catch a glimpse of Lynn coming in the door. Mercy goodness, I could tell this wasn't going to end well. It didn't take a minute for him to spot us and before I could say "scat" he grabbed an unsuspecting Larry by the shoulder, whirled him around, threw his glass of wine at him and punched him right in the face! Just like that! As Larry hit the floor, the protective mama bear in me emerged and I jumped on Lynn's back, wrapping my legs around his waist, hung onto his ponytail and commenced hitting him over the head with my lovely cordovan Coach bag (not a proud moment for me yall). As I rode around piggyback yelling "help help", the contents of my purse scattered across the floor and I remember hearing one fella chuckle and say I was the only one that didn't seem to need any "help"... the nerve! 

The minute the gallery owner hollered "the police are coming" I slid off Lynn's back and he dashed out the door, lickity split. By this time a crowd had gathered around Larry and I bent over him asking if he was ok. The only thing he said was "Im too old for this".  Adding insult to injury, the evening's fiasco made it into the next week's Dallas Observer.

I was surprised when Larry called and came over the next day. He had a real impressive shiner and a bruised and swollen face. We drove out to the barn so he could meet Jimmy and watch me ride for a bit. Then he wanted to ride. I told him a few of Jimmy's little quirks and what not to do. Of course Larry had never ridden in an English saddle so I had to give him a few pointers, mainly to keep his his heels down. Off they went. I cautioned Larry not to give him free rein but it went to deaf ears. Sheesh, why dont men ever listen....

A few minutes later I see Larry hunched over and limping down the hill. As he came closer I noticed a stirrup leather over his shoulder and Jimmy racing toward his buddies in a turnout pen. Good Grief! 

After taking Jimmy's tack off and turning him out, Larry and I enjoyed a picnic under a tree by the barn. I was telling him he needed to go over and talk with Jimmy so they could end things on a good note. Begrudgingly, he walked over to the fence and offered him a carrot but Jimmy wanted his watch instead. He grabbed the metal band and a little flesh and twisted it until Larry yelped! 

Looking back, our entire relationship was a series of unfortunate events and its really a wonder he even said "hi" when he passed me in the hallway at the gym.  

1 comment:

  1.  I would name your blog the dreamland! While Santa knocks at our door just once per year, you blog is Dog Products wholesale, Large Dog Collars, Pet supplies wholesale open the whole year – wow!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

About Me


Perky and always in a good mood much to the dismay of family members.

Follow Me

FacebookPinterestInstagramEmailRSS
Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address:

Grab My Button!

Powered by Blogger.