Riding the Train to MeMaw-ville

Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Im not sure if its because its so cold and gray outside or if its the pending marriage of my eldest but Im having sweet memories of my grandmother this morning. My grandmother was the best but dont ask me why. Its not like we did a whole lot together. She didn't drive so whatever we did happened inside. Come to think of it, she rarely did anything outside. She had to go outside at some point Im sure, but I just dont recall her out there. I do kind of remember putting puzzles together and playing dominoes and watching her cook. She read the Bible a lot and rarely had a bad thing to say against anyone (unless they were Italian, Jewish, African American, Irish, Catholic, etc) but as far as having fun goes Im pretty much at a loss...... She made great lemon pie and Chicken Spaghetti.

Now, her sister, my great Aunt Kat was F U N! She was a world traveller. She rode elephants in India and Camels in Arabia. She went on African safaris and stayed in the Treetop Hotel in Kenya where the monkeys would swing down and grab the guests purses and cameras! She was game for just about anything. Her name was Miss Adventure (not misadventure, yall)! As far as cooking goes though; mostly what I remember is scrapey toast, burnt sugar cookies and pecan pie with the plastic wrap covering the frozen crust being cooked into the pie. She loved to go out to eat and that was fine by me!

I guess those pending nuptials have me thinking about pending grandchildren! Yikes! Did I really say that? Am I old/mature enough to be a grandmother? Definitely 'yes' to the first and 'never' to the second. Glad there isn't some test I'll have to take! Oh well, I have to say Im pretty darn excited at the prospect; not of being just any old grandma though. I can think of all sorts of adventures for us to get in to. First the name. I dont want them calling me "Granny" or "MeMaw". Gary's grandkids call me Topsy but we dont see them very often. Im vacillating between "Topsy" and "Mumsy". I like them both.

I can scarcely wait for the good times to begin! Kayaking at White Rock, ziplining, exploring pueblos in New Mexico and hiking in Bandalier! I intend on being a fun grandma. None of the "take a nap" "eat your veggies" stuff will spring from my lips, no-sir-eeeee. We will be eating ice cream for breakfast and staying up way past bedtime watching movies and playing games (if I can make it). I cant wait to take the little tot to my favorite places for lunch and dress him/her up. Of course I only have experience with boys so if it happens to be a little girl, well... I'll have to fly by the seat of my pants. Maybe we can get pedicures and matching Lilly Pulitzer outfits!

Yep, its going to be way different from when I had my own kids. If you ask the guys, I bet they would say we had loads of fun and were always on the go. We never much adhered to a daily schedule because we were too busy going and doing! If they were sleepy, they slept and if they were hungry, they ate. Not that there's anything wrong with a schedule, it just didn't fit our lifestyle.

Im all about having fun now more than ever because life is short! Of course, I plan to spoil the tot like crazy but I also want to have memorable experiences. A great legacy would be; one day when he/she is 50 asking Reagan and Melissa "Did I have a nutty grandmother who woke me up at 3 in the morning to play in the snow and eat chocolate cake?" This will not surprise Reagan at all.


0 comments:

Search This Blog

About Me


Perky and always in a good mood much to the dismay of family members.

Follow Me

FacebookPinterestInstagramEmailRSS
Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address:

Grab My Button!

Powered by Blogger.