All I Want for Christmas is a Buche de Noel......

Tuesday, December 4, 2012
Let me clarify; I want a Buche de Noel that will make me swoon and ache with longing for that first bite of soft chocolaty genoise, the mocha mousse filling and the transcendent buttercream! Forget those dried up nasty things they try to pass off to poor unsuspecting fools. Every year I hope to find one with a hint of that promise, or at least one I can get a little excited about. If I find a bakery that makes the Buche, I question their process (yes, I am THAT person). You see, I can tell by the ingredients whether it will pass muster or not. I simply cant be bothered with a substandard Buche. I know its a Buche bust if it has any sort of cream cheese in it. No sireee, a true Buche uses only the best mocha whipped cream in the center and a luscious R E A L butter cream on the outside, combed ever so slightly to resemble a tree limb. I have seen all sorts of takes on the Buche as illustrated in the pictures but I am a purest, only a traditional Buche will do!



It all started about 15 years ago when my book club, "The Book... What Book?... Book Club" went on a holiday open house shopping tour of several cute trendy shops on Knox Henderson in Dallas. All the shops were festooned in their Christmas finery and most had nibbles, wine, wassail or cider for us weary shoppers. It was such a fun time. One place, of course I dont remember the name, had the most incredible Buche de Noel. It was my first Buche! Not only was it perfectly wonderful to look at, there are no words to describe how moist the cake was or how rich the buttercream frosting. On the perfectly combed exterior there were holly leaves as well as the occasional prerequisite meringue mushroom. It was lovely AND tasted divine; a rare combination on the Buche scene today.



I have begun making my annual calls to the same bakeries; the ones that make really good cakes, just to see if they might have broaden their horizons but so far, no luck. What I dont understand is that Dairy Queen makes an ice cream cake version for cryin out loud, but just try to find a good bakery that puts forth the effort. I refuse to order one from one of the many holiday catalogues that jam our mailbox. I saw where William Sonoma has one for $110! Can you imagine? How good can a cake be that has traveled across the country? If I were to pay $110 for a cake it better be able to make coffee and serve itself!

Perusing the internet I located several recipes that seem easy enough. I might just be forced to make it myself. Sometimes its really hard being me........

0 comments:

Search This Blog

About Me


Perky and always in a good mood much to the dismay of family members.

Follow Me

FacebookPinterestInstagramEmailRSS
Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address:

Grab My Button!

Powered by Blogger.